Tuesday, July 26, 2011

bridesmaid dress re-make

So I've had this dress for 4 years now!!! I was a bridesmaid in my sister's wedding (I've only ever been a bridesmaid for my sisters.... and my sister in law... I've kinda always wondered why none of my friends ever asked me to be a bridesmaid... does that mean I'm not a good friend? I keep holding out that maybe one of my single friends will get hitched and I'll get picked... but I kinda doubt it... I don't know what's worse... NEVER getting picked or ALWAYS getting picked, JDub has been a bestman/groomsman about a dozen times.......)

Ok sorry for that random tangent... back on task!!
I really do love the color of this dress! At first I thought it was chiffon but then looking at the tag it's polyester! While I was at my sewing class I asked for some advice as to what type of thread and needle I might need to work with. Initially I just wanted to cut it short and hem it... They all looked at me like I was crazy!? Which yea maybe I am a little bit. But I haven't worn this thing since that wedding, so I figured what the hey.... I'll try my best :)

Then I saw this picture!!!

I mean how chic does little "Harry Potter" girl look?! Honestly I never got into the whole Harry Potter ordeal...... but Emma is super cute and poise! And it reminded me of the shirring I did on my LBD. So I went for it :) Not to mention no having to worry about it being straight with this look!!

First instead of leaving all that length I decided to cut some off. This dress has 3 layers... I figured I didn't want any bulk going on underneath like there was last time! I cut the 2 outer layers the same length, and kept them a little longer, right at the knee. Then I cut the 3rd and closest layer to my body a couple inches shorter.




the dress is inside out so you can see the difference :)

















I had to re-hem all the pieces by kind of rolling the material over a few times... it was pretty wobbly but I figured it would get covered up anyway so no biggie.


new hem rolled and pinned

new hem complete, each layer looked like this




Then I sewed the outer 2 layers together and sewed that to the inner layer! (Are you confused?... its kind of hard to explain on here...) I left the 2 flaps on the front free... not knowing how they might look at first.


sewing 2 outer layers together

sewing all three together!






















I like the short-ness of this "inspiration" dress. It's been so unbelievably hot this summer I couldn't think of anything else I'd want to wear to a summer wedding than a light-weight short number. But once I got going I went a bit too short!! JDub didn't approve so I had to take it out a couple times and redo the shirring :)

I did my same shirring technique from LBD.... hand-wound my bobbin in white elastic thread. Threaded my machine with the polyester blend, coral thread, and even changed the needle on my sewing machine to a "sharp" one... (Who knew you were suppose to change your sewing machine needle with every project you start? And that there are specific needles for specific types of thread/fabric?) That was a little something I learned from my sewing class :) Then set my machine to the longest stitch and highest thread tension! I shirred on the right side of the fabric, that's why I bought matching thread.








I'm planning on wearing this to a friends' wedding I have this weekend. I know I should wait until I can get a decent pic of the after dress... but I just wanted to post!! Maybe I'll get someone on Saturday to try and post it later :) I had quite a bit of fabric leftover, and even a little shawl thing that came with it I might have to make a little purse when I have the time (I've been working on my dino's for Bubba's party. They're coming along :) )






1 comment:

  1. That turned out super cute! I was only ever a bridesmaid in my sister's wedding also. I had friends in my wedding, went to all their weddings and was never asked to be a bridesmaid. I wondered about it sometimes but it was actually kind of a relief not to have to buy dresses I would never wear again and also not having to be involved in any wedding day dramas. So, maybe I wasn't doing them any favors by asking them to be in my wedding. Who knows? skm

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I stay with my children day in and day out. It's a 24/7 job. They are my life... along with my husband and kitty-cat! We have a simple life, and owe it all to God! I'm just trying to stay sane and keep my typing skills up to par.... hope you enjoy my rants :)