Sunday, July 1, 2012

Thriving... not just surviving..

So I have to admit I did not come up with this idea on my own. My neighbor was nice enough to lend me a book they just finished reading....

Now I am only on chapter 8! So I know I am jumping the gun a bit. But man I like this book! I have to admit I was skeptical at first... I am not one to read "self-help" books.. which in reading the title is what I immediately thought. While it is a bit of a self-help book... I'd like to think its a positive message of faith and a book filled of hope! We all need a little hope don't we? I know I do. I haven't really had much time to read lately, but when I do get a chance... my mood alters to a positive one once I get going in this book.

Chapter 7 is about Thriving and not just surviving. What he means is getting out of that "survivor" mentality. I do have issues with that... I think... "Oh Lord, just help me get through this day... these kids are driving me crazy...." "Lord, if you'll please just end this sickness then things will be fine.." God doesn't want us to think this way. I mean he is the Almighty God?! He created everything... He wants us to go above and beyond, not just scrape by!

I loved how Joel mentioned Abraham and his nephew Lot moving with all their family and belongings to a new land. But once they got there they found the land was not fertile enough to supply enough crops for both of their families... Abraham, being the better person, said Lot could go where ever he wanted and he'd go the opposite way. Of course Lot picks the most fertile area and basically leaves Abraham out in the desert.... Now if I was Abraham I'd prolly be what the crap?! Because obviously I need to work on some stuff and I am not the better person all the time... But thankfully Abraham understood what was important... He knew as long as he put his faith in God, God's favor would be on him and he would see the blessings. Lo and behold, Abraham's land starts transforming into luscious green pastures and the scriptures even say Abraham became the wealthiest man in the East. Genesis 13-16 (Lot was a different story...) 

So I'm gonna work on thriving... and not just surviving. I'm going to work on NOT complaining and keep counting my blessings. Help me ok?! Seriously, b/c I know I complain ALOT!!! Tell me to stop!!! But I'm going to try to stay positive... (not that I really have much to be negative about b/c I am soo blessed.)

Joel even says (and I'm quoting his book)
The good news is that no matter what happens to us, God is still on the throne!
I am happy to report that all is well in His kingdom. Here is the key: As long as our Source is okay, we will be okay. If we stay connected to the vine, keeping God first, believing and expecting His favor, then as His branches, we will not just survive, we will thrive!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a book I need to read. I'm glad that God is helping you by letting you read this!

    DP:)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I stay with my children day in and day out. It's a 24/7 job. They are my life... along with my husband and kitty-cat! We have a simple life, and owe it all to God! I'm just trying to stay sane and keep my typing skills up to par.... hope you enjoy my rants :)